Sunday, August 10, 2008

Summer on Lake Pushaw

Have not done a road trip in AGES! But my roomie and I decided to drive up this summer to visit my friends Jean and John in Maine (Bangor). So I got four new tires on the old honda accord, woke at 4am to beat the traffic thru NY, and we were off...bikes in tow on the new rack attached to said old Honda.
We did indeed beat the traffic in NY and had a great day for driving. We took one detour through Ipswitch to visit a place Bob Coble told me I had to stop at...so out of Boston we hooked on to 1A...through a few little towns...Hamilton etc on our way to find the Clam Box. We arrived at 1:30 pm finding a open box shaped shack with a line about 20 people long on theoutside and at least 30 cars slammed in the parking lot.
I got in line while Page found the head...I struck up conversation with the people in front of me....he was not from here, she was...and filled me in that indeed this was the best place to get fried clams, scallops and shrimp. We waited...and waited...the people in front of us left because evidently the place switches out the oil at 2:30...granted this was still 25 minutes away....surely we will have ordered by then we thought. By 2:30 we got up to the door of the place and by the time they took our order (the oil was still being cleaned out) it was 2:50. We could not believe we were still waiting but we figured we already invested the time...what do we do...leave for another place at 3pm after an hour and a half? So we stuck it out! Got it to go. The scallops were my favorite and it was quite delicious. So back on the road we finally ran into traffic...at the toll to NH. My patience was being tested all day clearly. Once we made it through the toll all was better and we sailed in to Bangor with no issues other than almost running out of gas. Tired but happy we arrived to a lovely glass of wine, frech steamed mussels and anti pasta plate at the Nowak lake house. I crashed early while Page and John stayed up to watch the Olympics. End of Day one.

No comments: